One stop solution to your remote job hunt!
By signing up you get access to highly customizable remote jobs newsletter, An app which helps you in your job hunt by providing you all the necessary tools.
Senior ParalegalVirtualReq #851Grade 92
The Humane Society of the United States (HSUS), the nation’s most effective animal protection organization, is seeking a Senior Paralegal for the Office of General Counsel. In partnership with attorneys in both the Office of the General Counsel and Animal Protection Law Department, serve as subject matter expert in eDiscovery technology and central point of contact for all departments relating to eDiscovery and organizational best practices and procedures surrounding electronically stored information as it relates to legal and compliance matters. Manage ballot measure campaign finance and Lobbying Disclosure Act compliance.
You will be responsible for:
- Serving as subject matter expert on organizational best practices and procedures surrounding electronically stored information as it relates to legal and compliance matters. Providing ongoing impact analysis and reporting of organizational data management for issues impacting legal and compliance matters. Providing input and advice to attorneys on policies, procedures, guidelines, and best practices surrounding electronically stored information. Leading and participating in critical projects relating to internal process improvement and knowledge management. Training staff as appropriate;
- Serving as subject matter expert in eDiscovery technology and best practices and central point of contact for all departments relating to eDiscovery. Managing in-house legal hold and eDiscovery platform. In partnership with the Senior Assistant General Counsel, developing eDiscovery policies and procedures. Training attorneys, paralegals and other personnel on eDiscovery policies, procedures, tools, and workflows. Proactively identifying opportunities to improve systems and procedures, implementing new systems as appropriate. Coordinating outside counsel and other third-party vendors on various matters to ensure their effectiveness and cost efficiency including e-discovery vendor services, timelines, and budgets;
- Providing general litigation technology and eDiscovery support to case teams, including conducting and monitoring preservation scoping, including identifying and interviewing custodians, and locating relevant data repositories; coordinating the issuance of litigation holds and reminders; performing data collection and ingestion to in-house document review platform and/or oversee the transfer of data from HSUS to outside counsel and vendors; working with Information Technology department and custodians to ensure preservation of relevant data repositories; creating and maintaining tracking systems and audit trail of preservation and collection requests and decisions; reviewing, analyzing, and summarizing case data; and preparing and organizing documentary evidence for both in house and outside counsel. Serving as primary, hands-on technical expert, performing data intake and manipulation tasks required by legal matters;
- Drafting reviewing, and/or analyzing routine legal documents as requested by attorneys; conducting legal research. Providing technical training, advice and change management to OGC attorneys and staff as required. Translating complex terms and concepts between legal and IT departments;
- Performs other duties or responsibilities, as assigned.
Qualifications and Requirements:
- Associate degree required;
- A minimum of six (6) years of paralegal or similar experience is required. At least one (1) year of experience with litigation support experience preferred;
- Project management certification, training, or experience preferred;
- Certified E-Discovery Specialist (CEDS) or similar certification preferred;
- Wide knowledge of litigation support, legal documents, and legal procedures;
- Strong understanding of a variety of computer applications, including word processing, databases, spreadsheets, and imaging with advanced knowledge of Microsoft Office products and tools. Extensive working knowledge of multiple document review tools such as Ringtail, Relativity or Concordance;
- Excellent research, analytical, organizational, and time management skills, with exceptional attention to detail. Ability to manage multiple and often changing priorities and issues of varying complexity, while meeting time sensitive deadlines and deliverables;
- Independence and integrity; able to meet deadlines, work efficiently, and manage oneself in a telecommuting/remote environment. Operate at a high level with minimal supervision, make decisions in accordance with applicable policies, procedures and guidelines and discern when attorney or supervisor involvement is necessary. Ability to handle extremely sensitive, confidential matters and exercise sound discretion and judgment;
- Strong written and verbal communication skills with the ability to translate complex business, technical and legal concepts in a clear and compelling way;
- Consistently demonstrate ability to work as part of a team, including as a leader, and manage complex relationships with internal and external stakeholders. Ability to create and maintain effective working relationships with others to facilitate a positive and productive work environment.
This is a remote position.
The health and safety of our candidates, employees, and the communities in which we work is our top priority. The Humane Society of the United States has implemented a mandatory COVID-19 vaccination policy for all U.S. employees, including new hires. We make reasonable accommodations for employees with disabilities or sincerely held religious beliefs. All U.S. new hires will be required to show proof of COVID-19 vaccination prior to their first day of employment.
Qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, age, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, and disability, marital or parental status or protected veteran status. EOE