One stop solution to your remote job hunt!
By signing up you get access to highly customizable remote jobs newsletter, An app which helps you in your job hunt by providing you all the necessary tools.
Corporate Litigation Counsel, Law and Regulation
Location: Remote, Remote, US
Company: Allstate Insurance Company
The world isn’t standing still, and neither is Allstate. We’re moving quickly, looking across our businesses and brands and taking bold steps to better serve customers’ evolving needs. That’s why now is an exciting time to join our team. You’ll have opportunities to take risks, challenge the status quo and shape the future for the greater good.
You’ll do all this in an environment of excellence and the highest ethical standards – a place where values such as integrity, inclusive ersity and accountability are paramount. We empower every employee to lead, drive change and give back where they work and live. Our people are our greatest strength, and we work as one team in service of our customers and communities.
Everything we do at Allstate is driven by a shared purpose: to protect people from life’s uncertainties so they can realize their hopes and dreams. For more than 89 years we’ve thrived by staying a step ahead of whatever’s coming next – to give customers peace of mind no matter what changes they face. We acted with conviction to advocate for seat belts, air bags and graduated driving laws. We help give survivors of domestic violence a voice through financial empowerment. We’ve been an industry leader in pricing sophistication, telematics, digital photo claims and, more recently, device and identity protection. We are the Good Hands. We don’t follow the trends. We set them.
This is an in-house counsel role with the Legal Department’s Dispute Resolution Services – Corporate Litigation group, which principally manages class litigation and complex litigation challenging the company’s policies, practices and procedures. The primary duties of this role include managing complex litigation and legal issues faced by the company and its subsidiaries and affiliates, as well as providing advice and counsel to the business with respect to emerging legal issues and risks.
- Managing lawsuits and other legal disputes, including overseeing outside counsel in defense of such matters
- Interviewing and retaining law firms/ outside counsel, including managing budgets
- Reviewing and developing appropriate strategies for assigned matters
- Reviewing and revising pleadings, motions and significant case filings
- Serving as strategic legal partner to business, providing reports on substantive developments in legal matters, as well as advice and counsel on risk mitigation strategies and legal compliance
- Developing strategy for and participating in mediations/settlement conferences
- Preparing/reviewing settlement agreements
- Analyzing, responding to agency charges, and representing company at agency hearings
- Internally overseeing discovery process, including reviewing discovery requests and developing strategy and responses, collecting and producing internal documents, coordinating e-discovery, and interviewing information custodians and/or fact witnesses
- Assisting with preparing fact, corporate and expert witnesses for depositions, arbitrations and trials, and attending depositions, as appropriate
- Attending court appearances, as appropriate, including significant hearings, trials, mediations, and settlement conferences
- Actively participating in cross-functional teams to assess business practices and procedures and proactively counsel on emerging issues and legal/litigation risks
- Preparing and presenting various internal and external reports on significant litigation and legal issues
- Other duties as assigned
Education and Experience:
- Ideal candidate will have 7+ years of complex litigation experience; class litigation experience is required; insurance experience is preferred.
- J.D. from an accredited institution and active state bar license in good standing
- Motivated self-starter with legal acumen and business knowledge
- Collaborative team player
- Ability to communicate views effectively, verbally and in writing, and represent position to internal and external stakeholders, including senior level executives
- Leadership experience with assignments and cross functional projects
- Displays advanced knowledge of specific legal discipline to connect work back to strategic business results
- Ability to understand strategic goals and objectives client intends to achieve from intended action
- Ability to determine extent of other AOR (area of responsibility) involvement, and understand integration points and play a lead role with other areas of responsibility
- Experience utilizing technology and data analytics in daily tasks and decision making; familiarity with legal data analytics tools a plus
- Agile and adept at prioritizing assignments/work; consistently meets deadlines; acts with strong sense of urgency
- Proven ability to manage a high case load of complex matters in a fast-paced and dynamic environment
- Strong client service orientation
The preceding description is not designed to be a complete list of all duties and responsibilities. May be required to perform other related duties as assigned. Regular, predictable attendance is an essential function of this job.
Compensation offered for this role is $120,000.00 to $150,000.00 and is based on experience and qualifications.
This position is also eligible for a bonus plan