One stop solution to your remote job hunt!
By signing up you get access to highly customizable remote jobs newsletter, An app which helps you in your job hunt by providing you all the necessary tools.
Patient Navigator (Nurse, Remote)
Works With: Director of Community RelationsFLSA Status: Exempt, Full Time
National Brain Tumor Society (NBTS) unrelentingly invests in, mobilizes and unites our community to discover a cure, deliver effective treatments, and advocate for patients and their care partners. NBTS is a leading policy advocacy and research organization as well as a convener of brain tumor research leaders including industry, regulators, funders, clinician researchers and patient advocates. The organization also delivers timely information and support to patients and families. Through collaborative leadership with partners, our results include paradigm shifting research discoveries, increased federal funding for brain tumor research, innovative new clinical trials, opportunities for entrepreneurship and venture philanthropy to benefit brain tumor research, and empowering collaborative advocacy that results in reforms and advances to health care and the development of treatments.
While we have seen significant progress in terms of scientific understanding of brain tumor biology, we are unsatisfied with the status quo of today’s treatment options. NBTS is committed to investment in new ideas and research poised to incent the development and realization of treatments that dramatically increase survival and quality of life for patients.
The Patient Navigator, as part of the NBTS Personalized Support and Navigation team, will respond to outreach from brain tumor patients and caregivers through approaches agreed upon with NBTS to raise awareness about information resources, support programs and services, and assist in meeting other brain tumor-related needs of patients and caregivers. The Patient Navigator will also lend their expertise to inform key NBTS initiatives.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Empower patients as they navigate the complexities of the healthcare system by providing key tools, information, and opportunities to make more informed decisions about their care.
- Work collaboratively with other NBTS team members to identify barriers to quality care that contribute to disparities, and identify information, resources and emotional support needs of newly diagnosed and medically underserved patients, survivors, and caregivers.
- Establish and leverage relationships and alliances with healthcare and other support providers to enhance service and referral networks.
- Foster and maintain relationships with other members of the NBTS team in order to build patient referral mechanisms and promote patient navigation.
- Facilitate community access to available NBTS and non-NBTS services and programs.
- Implement a revisit plan to ensure that NBTS navigation services have met the needs of community members.
- Identify gaps in resources offered and work with NBTS team members to find solutions for those gaps.
- Maintain accurate, confidential records documenting services provided and unmet needs using Salesforce.
- Invite patients and their caregivers to become part of NBTS programs, network of volunteers and advocates as appropriate.
- Participate in the strategy and planning of NBTS initiatives that relate to overall education, assistance and treatment of patients with brain tumors and their care partners
- Provide support in facilitating monthly virtual caregivers support group
- Other duties as assigned
Education & Experience:
- Bachelor’s or Master’s degree in a healthcare field or equivalent experience required
- 3 5 years of related professional experience required. Experience in neuro-oncology nursing or a related field strongly preferred.
Required Skills, Knowledge, & Abilities:
- Provide high-quality engagement, both internally and externally
- Strong communication, interpersonal and organizational skills
- Thorough knowledge of healthcare systems, and medical terminology
- Experience working with neuro oncology patients and families preferred
- Experience facilitating patient and caregiver support groups preferred
- Thorough knowledge of resources available to assist brain tumor patients
- Complete work in a timely, accurate, and efficient manner
- Respond to changing circumstances and priorities in a focused, efficient manner
- Able to work independently with minimal direction or oversight
- Use available technology to perform position responsibilities
The physical demands and work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable iniduals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Location: Remote. Work will be performed by employee in their home office or other previously established workspace. Primary work location must be within the United States.
- This is a full-time, exempt position. Normal hours are 9:00am to 5:00pm ET, Monday through Friday. Infrequent meeting/event attendance outside of normal working hours and on weekends may be required.
- Travel throughout the US may be required approximately 5% of the time for conferences, meetings, events, etc. Employee may occasionally be required to meet with the Community & Government Relations team or other NBTS staff members in person at NBTS headquarters in Newton, MA.
- Role is largely sedentary and requires sitting or standing in a stationary position for extended periods of time.
- This role frequently involves communicating on the phone and operating a computer for at least 70% of the work day.
NBTS strives to ensure we have a workplace that embraces erse viewpoints, backgrounds, cultures, and experiences. NBTS provides equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants for employment, and prohibits discrimination and harassment of any type without regard to race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, age, status as a protected veteran, status as an inidual with a disability, or other applicable legally protected characteristics.