One stop solution to your remote job hunt!
By signing up you get access to highly customizable remote jobs newsletter, An app which helps you in your job hunt by providing you all the necessary tools.
Legal Analyst/Paralegal (Remote – Worldwide)
Legal, Policy, and Markets · All Cities, District of Columbia
Job Title: Senior Legal Analyst (Remote – Worldwide)
Location: Remote with some overlap with US business hours
Start Date: Immediately
Reports to: Legal Director
Verra is a global leader helping to tackle the world’s most intractable environmental and social challenges. As a mission-driven non-profit organization, Verra is committed to helping reduce and remove greenhouse gas emissions, improve livelihoods, and protect natural resources across the private and public sectors. We support climate action and sustainable development with standards, tools, and programs that credibly, transparently, and robustly assess environmental and social impacts and enable funding for sustaining and scaling up projects that verifiably deliver these benefits. We work in any arena where we see a need for clear standards, a role for market-based mechanisms, and an opportunity to generate significant environmental and social value. Verra manages a portfolio of programs, including the:
- Verified Carbon Standard (VCS) — the world’s leading carbon crediting program, with more than 1,750 registered projects in 80 countries, and accounting for two-thirds of all voluntary carbon market transaction volume.
- Sustainable Development Verified Impact Standard (SD VISta) — a flexible framework for assessing and reporting on the sustainable development benefits of project-based activities.
- Climate, Community & Bioersity (CCB) Standards — to identify projects that simultaneously address climate change, support local communities and smallholders, and conserve bioersity.
- Plastic Waste Reduction Program — to enable robust impact assessment of new or scaled-up waste recovery and recycling projects around the globe.
As an integral member of Verra’s legal team, you will be responsible for providing timely and trustworthy support to all aspects of the organization’s legal affairs.
A day at Verra might include…
Creating, and inputting data into, a spreadsheet that the legal team relies on to track progress in negotiating commercial contracts.
- Speaking with external counsel to finalize a manual that will guide staff in negotiating agreements.
- Tracking requests made to the legal team, monitoring follow-up, and liaising with staff throughout the organization.
- Conducting an initial analysis of due diligence findings for review by senior staff.
- Preparing advice to senior management on how Verra should respond to changing regulatory developments affecting Verra’s lines of business.
- Analyzing draft legal agreements and proposed changes to agreements from Verra’s counterparties
Specific functions you will be responsible for:
The staff member’s responsibilities will be administrative and substantive in nature, and will involve the following functional areas:
- Commercial contracts: supporting processes to circulate and update Verra’s commercial contract templates (e.g. non-disclosure agreements, consultancy contracts, partnership agreements, memoranda of understanding, linking agreements); receiving staff requests for deviations from templates and supporting the work of legal colleagues to review them; tracking contracts; assisting with contract execution.
- Corporate: assisting in the conduct of general corporate legal work (e.g., conflicts of interest, internal policy review).
- Due diligence: assisting with the conduct of due diligence on counterparties and other entities.
- Intellectual property: supporting processes to circulate and update Verra’s intellectual property agreement templates; supporting and/or conducting negotiations with licensees; helping to file and renew trademarks; tracking agreements; assisting with agreement execution; conducting review of potential trademark violations and ensuring that Verra’s trademarks are protected.
- Litigation: supporting senior staff in addressing contentious matters, such as by gathering and synthesizing data.
- Regulatory: assisting in the monitoring of regulatory developments and analyzing how regulatory changes may affect Verra.
What will you bring?
- At least 2 years of professional work experience. Preference will be given to candidates with some experience in a legal context.
- An undergraduate degree in law, policy, sustainability, or related field.
- The mindset of a generalist who enjoys working in multiple functional areas.
- Strong organizational and time-management skills.
- A track record of influencing, building and maintaining relationships with, and communicating with a erse group of people.
- An ability to work independently.
- Familiarity with environmental and social markets such as carbon markets, carbon crediting, and offsetting, ideally gained through work experience in this field, is an asset.
In this role, you will grow and expand your expertise by…
- Contributing to protecting the legal position of a growing organization that aims to be a leader in environmental and social markets worldwide.
- Helping to ensure that Verra acts with a high degree of integrity in the conduct of its business.
- Collaborating closely with a dynamic, committed, and focused group of highly committed professionals constantly looking for ways to fight climate change and promote sustainable development solutions around the world.
How will you know you’re successful?
- Verra’s legal team is well supported in all aspects of legal review and advice.
- Documents are tracked accurately, and document recordkeeping systems are utilized and further developed.
- The legal team is motivated and works seamlessly with the other teams in the organization to deliver high-quality work product.
- Verra’s legal work is implemented optimally, in a timely fashion, and in budget.
You will join a team …
- From erse locations and backgrounds, including carbon market experts, ex-government representatives, auditors, and more.
- Committed to driving finance to advance climate action and sustainable development through high-quality standards and programs.
- That embodies the values Verra has established for itself, and which include Teamwork, Results, Integrity, Balance, and Exploration.
Compensation at Verra
To help us attract and retain top talent, Verra pays employees competitively to the market. In return, we expect each employee to, at a minimum:
- Meet expectations in terms of work effort and performance;
- Take the initiative to build the skills and knowledge needed to do their job effectively; and
- Embody Verra’s values.
For this position, the salary range is USD $57,225 – $63,597 depending on experience.
We will recognize employees who go beyond expected performance with salary increases and/or promotions, but the bar for earning those rewards is high.
Salary is one component of Verra’s total compensation package which also includes:
- Health, vision and dental care, and life insurance;
- Verra contributions to each employee’s retirement plan;
- Verra contributions as required by national labor laws in countries where staff are located;
- Paid Time Off (PTO), comprising 22-30 days plus eleven floating holidays, sabbatical after five years of service, and other leave allowances; and
- Funds to support professional development.
*Please add app.bamboohr.com to your contact list to ensure you receive emails from us*
Verra provides equal opportunity for all job applicants and employees and is committed to providing a work environment free of discrimination. We conduct our recruitment and hiring without regard to race, color, religion, gender identity, sex, sexual orientation, national origin, age, marital status, pregnancy, physical or mental disability, genetics, veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by applicable federal, state, and local law.