One stop solution to your remote job hunt!
By signing up you get access to highly customizable remote jobs newsletter, An app which helps you in your job hunt by providing you all the necessary tools.
We acknowledge that Bench headquarters is located on the traditional, ancestral, and unceded territory of the Coast Salish Peoples, including the territories of the xʷməθkwəy̓əm (Musqueam), Skwxwú7mesh (Squamish), and Səl̓ílwətaʔ/Selilwitulh (Tsleil-Waututh) Nations.
Businesses need to understand their financial performance, but for many smaller ones, this means a trade-off between managing their books and running their businesses.
Our mission is to help every business owner thrive, by providing financial insight and peace of mind in one seamless platform. From creatives to chiropractors, Bench helps thousands of small business owners and entrepreneurs master their financial lives. Because understanding your finances should be three things: simple, effortless, and affordable.
We’re growing fast, and we’re looking for exceptional people to join us on this incredible journey. Check out our culture guide to learn more about what it’s like to work at Bench and read more about our business here!
What does the Legal department look like?
A growing team, you will have a broad portfolio that lets you engage with every part of the business. Working closely with Risk, Compliance and Finance, and reporting into the General Counsel, we enjoy solving problems together through open communication and collaboration while respecting each other’s ideas.
You will be responsible for scaling up our legal function to meet the needs of our growing company. The challenges of growth at scale are exciting, and you’ll be at the forefront of our plans to solve them.
What you’ll get up to:
- Work closely with internal stakeholders, including senior management, external legal counsel and other external parties on a wide range of strategic business objectives impacting Partnerships, Product, Engineering, Security, People Ops, IT, Customer Success, Sales and Marketing
- Review, draft, negotiate and drive to completion commercial agreements, including partnership agreements, software license and other vendor agreements, and NDAs to name a few
- Assist with development of company policies, templates and online terms
- Support financings and other transactions
- Support litigation matters
- Proactively monitor legal developments, advise and support on various compliance, employment, and regulatory matters including privacy laws
- Assist with the preparation of Board and Committee materials and other corporate matters (including stock option issues, share transfers, minutes, preparation of resolutions, etc.)
- Support implementation of legal processes and company-wide training to scale and standardize the provision of legal services at Bench
- Assist with management of intellectual property portfolio.
What you’ll need:
- 4-7 years post-call experience gained at a major law firm or in-house counsel role in a mid-large technology company. Experience in both would be preferred
- Membership in good standing with the Law Society of British Columbia (or other Canadian bar, subject to membership eligibility in BC)
- Strong negotiation skills and a strong understanding of partnerships, contracts, and Canadian privacy law in order to successfully advocate for Bench
- Broad corporate commercial experience, transactional experience an asset
- Experience with and strong knowledge of US and Canadian data privacy laws
- Self-motivated team player with the ability to drive projects, identify/resolve legal and business issues with large degree of independence, seeking guidance when necessary
- Exceptional project management skills, attention to detail, with an ability to quickly digest and understand the big picture
- High degree of initiative in managing multiple priorities simultaneously in a fast-paced, deadline-driven work environment
- You are a trusted advisor, with a proven ability to influence and collaborate across all levels of the organization
- High performance standards, impeccable integrity, excellent judgment, well-honed analytical skills, good sense of humour, positive attitude, and flexible
- Practical, business-oriented approach
- Able to analyze complex situations and develop simple, concise, and effective legal solutions
- You are calm under pressure
- An activated curiosity and openness to being an equitable and inclusive leader. Our commitment to anti-racism and anti-discrimination as a company excites you.
It could be an even better fit if you:
- Have a strong understanding of both US and Canadian employment law.
What you’ll get:
- This is a full-time, 12-18 month contract position.
- At Bench we share information freely and openly whenever possible. The on target earnings for this role is $156,640 - $190,800 per year, depending on experience, with a component of these earnings made up of variable pay.
- In addition, we offer an extended benefits package that includes paid vacation, unlimited paid flex days.
- You’ll get unlimited access to Bravely, our confidential, on-demand, 1:1 professional coaching service, and access to Inkblot Therapy, our virtual counselling service to support mental wellbeing.
- We have a number of Affinity Groups - groups of people who have shared identities and experiences! The purpose of these groups is to support underrepresented Benchmates and amplify their voices.
- Bench is now a fully remote organization and will provide a Home Office Setup Fund, to ensure that you have everything you need to work comfortably from home, from day one.
- We will be providing alternative solutions to bring teams together for collaboration and connection.
- We currently focus our hiring efforts in the following provinces: British Columbia, Alberta, Ontario, New Brunswick, and Nova Scotia.
- You will also have the opportunity to work internationally for up to 90 days per calendar year.
Everyone has their own unique talents. Even if you don’t meet 100% of the qualifications outlined above, tell us why you’d be a great fit for this role in your application.
We believe that unchecked biases disproportionately impact the most marginalized people in society—including but not limited to BIPOC, LGBTQ2S+ people, immigrants, and people with disabilities. We strongly encourage applications from people with these identities or other marginalized communities because we believe that without you, we are all less. At Bench, we don’t stand for tokenism. We stand for representation.