One stop solution to your remote job hunt!
By signing up you get access to highly customizable remote jobs newsletter, An app which helps you in your job hunt by providing you all the necessary tools.
CommonLit is a nonprofit EdTech organization dedicated to providing high-quality literacy instruction to low-income students and students of color to prepare them for success in college and careers. We operate a free online reading and writing program, www.commonlit.org, that is used by millions of teachers and students worldwide each month. We are a quickly growing team of passionate professionals – many of whom are former teachers. Our team is now over 100 full-time employees spread across ~30 states.
The Human Resource Coordinator will be responsible for supporting the day-to-day operations of the larger HR/Ops/Legal team, collaborating directly with the Chief of Staff and Human Resource Manager. In this role, the Human Resource Coordinator will help drive the success of CommonLit’s HR team, with the focus on contractor management, time and leave administration, payroll, HRIS integrity, and overall employee life cycle. You will work closely with the HR/Operations team to support our growing team. The ideal candidate should be excited to join a fast-growing organization and assist with building new systems and processes.
This job is open to remote candidates (CommonLit is a remote team with a headquarters in DC for optional use), but the team begins work at 9AM Eastern Time and keeps an East Coast schedule, with some exceptions.
- Oversee all facets of the contractor management process, including coordinating with hiring managers on contractor hires and contract renewals; process contractor invoices.
- Review and approve employee leave requests. Ensure timesheets are submitted and approved in a timely manner.
- Serve as the primary payroll administrator. Process and maintain all payroll records. Ensure accuracy and timely processing of all changes in pay adjustments, deductions, bonuses, direct deposition updates, tax withholding information, and other payroll entries.
- Coordinate onboarding and offboarding processes for full-time employees.
- Assist the HR team with administering employee benefits programs, including, health, dental, vision, and leave of absences.
- Maintain and update employee records in our HRIS, ADP Workforce Now. Conduct periodic audits of employee records and systems.
- Handle all HRIS data entries, such as benefits transactions, status changes, and time-sensitive adjustments.
- Provide day-to-day support related to employee inquiries and supporting the HR/Ops functions.
- Assist in ensuring compliance with all federal, state, and local requirements and reports.
- Maintain personnel files for employees.
- Perform other duties assigned.
- Minimum of 3 years experience working in the human resources field is required.
- A Bachelor’s degree in human resources management, business administration, or related field, and/or equivalent work experience is preferred.
- Knowledgeable of applicable benefits, leave, and payroll law and regulations.
- Experience with payroll/HRIS, ADP Workforce Now, and multi-state payroll preferred.
- Ability to meet tight deadlines in a fast-paced work environment.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills.
- Excellent interpersonal, problem solving, and conflict resolution skills.
- Ability to prioritize tasks and meet deadlines.
- Ability to act with integrity, professionalism, and maintain confidentiality.
- The position requires prolonged periods of sitting at a desk and working on a computer.
Compensation and Benefits
CommonLit is committed to fostering a positive company culture, promoting work-life balance, and supporting employees through life’s changes. We provide the following benefits:
We are a remote-first company, and have employees in 28 states and Washington, D.C. In keeping with our efforts to create a collaborative and constructive workplace, even in a remote environment, we offer many staff engagement opportunities throughout the year. These include monthly remote activities (ie. dumpling making, yoga), a yearly all-staff retreat, and more!
- Salary is $70,000 – $75,000 commensurate with experience.
- Health, Dental, and Vision Insurance
- Free telehealth services for all full time employees, from day 1 of employment
- 401(k) retirement plan, with a 4% safe harbor employer match
- Pre-tax commuter benefits for employees based in the D.C. metropolitan area
- Remote home office set-up stipend
- Generous time off including 15 holidays a year, paid time off, 12 weeks of paid parental leave, volunteering and school visitation leave, jury duty leave, and bereavement and compassionate leave. Additionally, we offer 3 hours per month for small necessities leave and flexible work options.