One stop solution to your remote job hunt!
By signing up you get access to highly customizable remote jobs newsletter, An app which helps you in your job hunt by providing you all the necessary tools.
Title: Billing Manager
In 2010 Buildout pioneered commercial real estate (CRE) marketing automation. Today, with over 35,000 brokers and with 12 of the top 20 brokerages counted as customers, Buildout continues to be the leader in CRE marketing automation in addition to recently launching valuable, integrated back-office workflow and customer relationship management (CRM) solutions. Developed in close collaboration with our customers, Buildout allows brokerages to bring their expertise to every stage of their deals all from within one platform. Our vision is that CRE dealmaking will be tech-powered, but human-led. We have a some-nonsense culture that embodies nerds and humor. Learn more about who we are, what we do, and why we’re changing the face of CRE tech on our website: https://buildout.com/.
Headquartered in Chicago with employees distributed across the country, we’re a fast-growing company that achieves our vision through our values of Team, Customers, Product, and Continuous Improvement. We’re looking for a detailed and customer-focused Billing Manager to join our team. In this role, you’ll be responsible for owning the invoicing and billing process, accounts receivable, revenue, and deferred revenue.
You will be the go-to person for oversight on the billing, payments collections, and customer service aspects of Accounts Receivable. You will receive guidance and development from our Controller, who this position reports to, and exposure and opportunities to work with our CFO. If you’re someone who is motivated, detail-oriented and a team player who also loves having the autonomy to execute responsibilities, we’d love to meet you.
How You’ll Contribute at Buildout
- Own and manage our billing function and implement new ideas to further streamline our process for a Buildout Quality experience
- Ensure all customers are billing according to their contractual schedule (e.g. monthly, quarterly, annually)
- Verify custom billing formulas to ensure customers are invoiced the correct amounts
- Play a critical role in transitioning all Accounts Receivable related activities from our third-party accounting firm to in-house
- Manage the process to get new customers efficiently and accurately set up with invoices in Sage
- Oversee the processing of customer payments (i.e. checks and ACH payments), match them with invoices, and proactively follow up with overdue customers
- Oversee the appropriate revenue recognition process for all new deals and existing business
- Follow up with and manage our incoming customer billing support tickets
- In partnership with our Controller, you will support the process of implementing our new ERP (Sage Intacct) and aid in financial audit requests
- Develop great relationships with our customers and contribute to the value we deliver them
What You’ll Bring to Buildout
- 5+ years of related billing or Accounts Receivable experience, technology/SaaS experience is preferred
- Knowledge and understanding of AR end-to-end processes including invoicing customers, collections, and cash applications
- Prior experience with Salesforce CRM (preferred) and Sage Intacct (nice to have)
- Working knowledge of GAAP
- Excellent knowledge of various Microsoft applications like Excel
- The ability to learn quickly and prioritize responsibilities in a dynamic and fast-paced environment
- Team player who collaborates well with internal team members and external vendors
- You bring a growth mindset: you’re highly motivated, solutions-focused, and adaptable to change
- Prior experience managing team members preferred, as we anticipate your team to grow within the next 3-6 months
- Bachelor’s degree in Accounting or Finance preferred, but not required
We know there are great candidates who won’t check all of these boxes, and we also know you might bring important skills that we haven’t considered. If that’s you, don’t hesitate to apply and tell us about yourself.
We are based in Chicago, but this is a remote-friendly role open across most of the US. The salary range for this position is $72,000 – $90,000 depending on your experience.
Perks & Benefits
We built a benefits program to match the quality of our team. This program includes:
- Impactful insurance and benefit options, including covering 100% of employee health insurance premiums, FSA plan, STD, LTD, life insurance, and telemedicine
- Policies that support a healthy work/life balance, including Flexible PTO, company holidays, paid parental leave, and give back days
- 401(k) with 4% company match and immediate vesting
- An office in Chicago for those who prefer an office setting, plus a monthly remote work reimbursement
- Challenging problems to solve with a committed and supportive team who are invested in your growth and development
- A wonderfully quirky culture where you’re encouraged to bring your whole self to work
Buildout is proud to be an Equal Opportunity Employer. We do not discriminate based upon race, religion, color, national origin, sex (including pregnancy, childbirth, or related medical conditions), sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, age, status as a protected veteran, status as an inidual with a disability, genetic information, marital status, order of protection status, citizenship status, or other applicable legally protected characteristics. We also consider qualified applicants with criminal histories, consistent with applicable federal, state and local law.
If you need a reasonable accommodation for any part of the employment process, please contact us by email at: and let us know the nature of your request and your contact information and we will consider your request.
Below, you will be asked to complete identity information for the Equal Employment Opportunity Commission (EEOC). It is required by law that we ask these questions using the format provided by the EEOC. However, we want you to know that at Buildout, we understand that gender is not binary and welcome people of all identities.