Third Iron is seeking a Full Stack Software Engineer to join our fully remote development team to help build library industry-leading software services BrowZine and LibKey. These services connect scholars of all disciplines with the peer-reviewed journal articles they need to advance their research. Our users include millions of researchers affiliated with over 1,200 libraries at universities, hospitals, corporations, and government agencies located across 35 countries.
As a Full Stack Software Engineer, you will help with all aspects of the development lifecycle: capturing initial requirements, deciding on architectural approaches, coding the implementation, and reviewing others' changes from our team of experienced polyglot programmers.
Our remote-first company has been building software for over 10 years in a completely distributed fashion, so you'll be joining a team with plenty of experience putting into practice what works well remotely (and avoiding what doesn't!).
- Contribute to our Third Iron tools and backend systems, written primarily in Node.js and Postgres, and used by our internal operations team to manage large amounts of data from over 1,200 library customers
- Help shape and build our APIs, used both internally and by third parties, written in Node.js and adopting many concepts from JSON API 1.0
- Opportunities to assist with our front end web app clients such as the BrowZine and LibKey, built with Ember, and our browser extension LibKey Nomad, built with React
- Increase your experience and knowledge of Node.js, Postgresql, Elasticsearch, CouchDB, continuous integration, and load testing. Learn about all the tools we use at our StackShare
- Optimize and help scale our Heroku and AWS cloud-based systems as our customer base grows to ensure solid performance for all users
What We're Looking For
- Experience with SQL; we use Postgres to store the majority of our data, and we will continue to improve the speed of our externally-facing APIs and internal processes. Bonus if you have NoSQL experience, such as ElasticSearch or CouchDB
- Strong communication skills - since we are a remote team, clear, timely, and frequent communication is essential
- Experience writing automated tests alongside your code - we rely on numerous automated tests to help avoid regressions, both at the acceptance and unit level
- High comfort level with source control, especially git
- A self-motivated developer who can work independently
- Interest in lifelong learning, including learning new technologies. We want to embrace the tools and techniques that help us build great software and let us sleep soundly at night, knowing our users are having a delightful experience and our servers are not catching fire
- People with U.S. work authorizations. (We are looking for a full-time developer to join our team so please, respectfully, do not apply if you are a software development firm looking to hire out your time)
Working at Third Iron
Third Iron is a small company of 25 employees, and our growth and success have been fueled by the passionate, curious people who work here. We value input and feedback while looking to minimize the interruptions of meetings, report writing, and internal emails.
Understanding that work is just part of your life, Third Iron also provides great pay and benefits including health, dental, long-term disability, paid time-off, home-office stipend, and more. It's why most employees who work at Third Iron spend many years of their careers here. You could, too!
To apply, simply fill out the job application, and please include anything that helps demonstrate your development abilities. Examples include your GitHub, Bitbucket, or StackOverflow profile, or some sample code, articles, or presentations you've created, or even just reporting bugs on open source projects. We're looking for something to help us learn how you contribute to a team.Summary
Company name: Third Iron
Remote job title: Full Stack Software Engineer at Third Iron (Minneapolis, MN) (allows remote)